UPTON, a village and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The village stands 4 miles W of Birkenhead r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Birkenhead. The parish is sometimes called Over-church, and comprises 929 acres. Real property, £2,871. Pop., 293. Houses, 57. The manor belongs to W. Inman, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £60.* Patron, W. Inman, Esq. The church is plain. There are a national school, a reading room, and a convent.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Upton CP/Tn Upton By Birkenhead CP/AP Wirral PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
|Place:||Upton By Birkenhead|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.