UPWELL, a village and a sub-district in Wisbeach district, and a parish partly also in Downham district, Cambridge and Norfolk. The village stands on the river Nen, 4¾ miles E of Pear-Tree r. station, and 6 SE by S of Wisbeach; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Wisbeach. The parish includes Welney chapelry; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of St. Peter, Christchurch, and Welney. Acres, 21,746. Real property, £42,703. Pop. in 1851, 5,377; in 1861, 4,783. Houses, 1,081. The property is much subdivided. Beaupre Hall manor belongs to W. Townley, Esq.; and Wisbeach-Barton manor, to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. A Gilbertine monastery was founded at Mirmaud about the time of King John. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Norwich. Value of St. Peter, £3,080;* of Christchurch, £1,594;* of Welney, £1,300.* Patron of St. P. and C., W. Townley, Esq.; of Welney, W. Townlee, Esq. St. Peter's church is mainly later English; Christchurch was built in 1865; and Welney church was built in 1850. There are five dissenting chapels, a parochial school, and charities £346.The sub-district excludes Welney chapelry, but includes Outwell parish. Acres, 19,472. Pop. in 1851, 5,619; in 1861, 4,947. Houses, 1,133.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Downham PLU/RegD Cambridgeshire AncC Norfolk AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.