WHITEHAVEN, CLEATOR, AND EGREMONT RAILWAY, a railway in Cumberland; from Whitehaven to Cleator, Egremont, Lamplugh, and the Cockermouth and Workington railway. It comprises a main line of 4½ miles and a branch of 2 miles, authorized in 1854, and opened for passengers in 1867; an extension of 3½ miles to Lamplugh, authorized in 1861, opened for minerals in Nov. 1862, and for passengers in 1864; and a further extension to the Cockermouth at Workington, authorized in 1863.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a railway" (ADL Feature Type: "railroad features")|
|Administrative units:||Cumberland AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.