AMPTON, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 5 miles N of Bury St. Edmunds r. station. It has a post office under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 736. Real property, £910. Pop., 131. Houses, 28. Ampton Hall, the seat of H. Rodwell, Esq., is a large brick edifice, in a spacious park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £172.* Patron, Hun. Rodwell, Esq. The church is a plain brick building, with a stone tower, and has a brass. Charities, Calthorpes' school, almshouses., £440.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Ampton CP/AP Thingoe PLU/RegD Suffolk AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.