ANSLEY, a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick; on the river Bourne, 5 miles W of Nuneaton r. station. It has a post office under Atherstone. Acres, 2,869. Real property, £5,023. Pop., 685. Houses, 160. The property is not much divided. Ansley Hall belonged ouce to the Ludfords, and belongs now to the Astleyys; and it stands in an extensive park, which abounds with both natural and artificial beanties, and contains a her mitage and a Chinese temple. The hermitagc was formed out of an ancient oratory, and was the place where Whar ton wrote his lines, "Beneath this stony roof reclined," and the Chinese temple was constructed by Sir W. Chambers, and contains a monument of the Purefoy family, brought from Caldecote church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £116.* Patron, the Rev. Theoph. Sharp. The church is partly Norman, has a fine square tower, and is in good condition. There is an Independent chapel. Charities, £47.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Ansley AP/CP Atherstone PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.