ARKSEY, or Bentley-with-Arksey, a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Great Northern railway and the river Don, 2 miles N of Doncaster. It has a station on the railway; it includes the hamlets of Almholme, Bodles, Doncaster-Bridgend, Scawthorpe, Shaftholme, and Stockbridge; and it has a post office, of the name of Bentley., under Doncaster. Acres, 5,220. Rated property, £8,899. Pop., 1,099. Houses, 260. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £113. Patron, Sir W. R.Cooke, Bart. The church is ancient. There are two Methodist chapels, a free school, 12 alms-houses, and other charities £160.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Bentley With Arksey AP/CP Doncaster PLU/RegD Yorkshire AncC|
|Place names:||ARKSEY | ARKSEY OR BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY | BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.