ARLESEY, Arlsey, or Arsley, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Hiz, a little E of the Great Northern railway, 4 miles ESE of Shefford; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Baldock, and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. Real property, £5,357. Pop., 1,401. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. An ancient castle stood at Etonbury, near the road to Baldock; and appears, from an entrenchment which still remains, to have been a place of considerable strength. The living is a vicarage, united with Astwick rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420.* Patron, James Curtis, Esq. The church is a plain edifice; was recently fitted with new benches; and contains some ancient monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and extensive brickworks.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Arlesey CP/AP Biggleswade RegD/PLU Bedfordshire AncC|
|Place names:||ARLESEY | ARLESEY ARLSEY OR ARSLEY | ARLSEY | ARSLEY|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.