ASHAMPSTEAD, or Ackhampstead, a chapelry in the parish of Lewknor and counties of Oxford and Buckingham; 3¼ miles NW of Great Marlow, and 3¾ WSW of wycombe r. station. The part of it known as Stutridge and Cadmore-End is in Oxford; and the part known as the Moor and Finnemoor is in Bucks. Post Town, Lewknor under Tetsworth. Pop., 356. The living bears the name also of Cadmore-End; and is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Bishop of Oxford two turns, and All-Souls College one turn.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Buckinghamshire AncC Oxfordshire AncC|
|Place names:||ACKHAMPSTEAD | ASHAMPSTEAD | ASHAMPSTEAD OR ACKHAMPSTEAD|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.