ASPLEY-GUISE, a parish in Woburn district, Beds; 1½ mile WNW of Ridgemount r. station, and 2 N of Woburn. It has a post office under Woburn; and formerly had a market. Acres, 1,936. Real property, £4,815. Pop., 1,437. Houses, 324. The property is sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Guises. Aspley House and Aspley Guise House are chief residences. Aspley Heath and Aspley Wood give fine views. Fuller's earth occurs. The living is a rec tory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £325.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is elegant; and a new church and three dissenting chapels are at Woburn-Sands.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Aspley Guise AP/CP Woburn PLU/RegD Bedfordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.