AUSTREY, a parish in the district of Tamworth, and county of Warwick; 4 miles NE of Polesworth r. station, and 6½ E by N of Tamworth. It has a post office under Atherstone. Acres, 2,097. Real property, £4,735. Pop., 557. Houses, 126. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £162.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church presents some curious specimens of stained glass in the windows; and is very good. There is a Baptist chapel. Monk's school has an endowed income of £20, and other Charities have £27.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Austrey CP/AP Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.