BARCHESTON, a village and a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick. The village stands on the verge of the county, at the river Stour, 1 mile SE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 7½ NE of Blockley r. station; and was a place of some consequence at the Conquest. The parish includes also the hamlet of Willington; and its Post Town is Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 1,475. Real property, £2,609. Pop., 190. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor was purchased, in the reign of Henry VII., by William Willington; and passed to the family of Sheldon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £240.* Patron, the Rev. G. D. Wheeler. The church was re stored in 1869.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Barcheston CP/AP Shipston on Stour RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.