BARKING, a village and a parish in Bosmere district, Suffolk. The village stands 1¾ mile SW of Needham Market, on the road to Hadleigh. Pop., 409. Houses, 93. The parish contains also the hamlet of Darmsden and the town of Needham-Market; the latter of which has a railway station and a head post office. Acres, 3,164. Real property, £8,276. Pop., 1,850. Houses, 417. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the curacy of Darmsden, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £840.* Patron, the Earl of Ashburnham. The p. curacy of Needham-Market is a separate charge. A school has an endowed income of £55, and other charities £77
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Barking AP/CP Bosmere and Claydon PLU/RegD Suffolk AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.