BARNTON, a township and a chapelry in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the Northwestern railway, 2 miles NW of Northwich; and has a post office under that town. Acres, 751. Real property, £3,052. Pop., 1,219. Houses, 264. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 1,431. Houses, 310. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, 120.* Patron, the Bishop. The church is good; and there are three Methodist chapels.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Barnton Tn/CP Great Budworth CP/Tn/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.