BARROW, a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; on a stream which goes northward to the Mersey, 3½ miles S of Dunham r. station, and 5 ENE of Chester It includes the townships of Great Barrow and Little Barrow; and has fairs on 22 June and 22 Dec.: and its Post Town is Tarvin, under Chester. Acres, 2,916. Real property, £4,951. Pop., 623. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £263.* Patron, Lord H. Cholmondeley. The church is early English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school built in 1865, and charities £9.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Barrow CP/AP Great Boughton PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.