Bonninton, a suburb on the mutual border of St Cuthbert's and North Leith parishes, Edinburghshire, on the Water of Leith, and on the Edinburgh and Leith branch of the North British railway, in the south-western vicinity of Leith. It comprises numerous neat villas and good lofty houses; presents an appearance in keeping with the best part of Leith; and has a station on the railway, a U.P. church hall, a girls' public school, and a mineral spring. The U.P. hall, a Gothic edifice, was erected in 1875 at a cost of about £1200, contains 250 sittings, and was to be followed by the erection of a contiguous church.
(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)
|Feature Description:||"a suburb" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Midlothian ScoCnty|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.