BEBINGTON, two townships and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The townships are styled Higher and Lower; they lie on the river Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, 2½ and 3½ miles S by E of Birkenhead; they have a station, of the name of Bebington, on the railway, and a post office of the same name, under Birkenhead; and they have had great recent increase. of houses and inhabitants from their situation on the Mersey, in immediate communication with Liverpool. Acres of Higher Bebington, 1,084; of which 185 are water. Real property, £14,790. Pop., 2,086. Houses, 336. Acres of Lower Bebington, 1,542; of which 490 are water. Real property, £10,035. Pop., 2,485. Houses, 465. The parish includes also the townships of Tranmere, Storeton, and Poulton-cum-Spittle. Acres, 6,437; of which 1,060 are water. Real property, £66,922. Pop. in 1841, 5,008; in 1861, 15,105. Houses, 2,549. The property is much subdivided. Excellent building stone, with notable geological peculiarities, is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory, with St. Mark's chapelry, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £670.* Patron, the Rev. G. R. Feilden. The parish church is partly Norman, partly mixed English; and St. Mark's was built in 1866. The p. curacy of Christchurch is a separate benefice, in the patronage of the Rev. G. Troughton; and its church was built in 1859. The vicarages of Rock Ferry and Tranmere also are separate benefices. There are four dissenting chapels, two national schools, a workhouse, and charities £53.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"two townships and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Bebington AP/CP Wirral PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.