BENHALL, a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk; adjacent to the Alde river and the East Suffolk railway, 1½ mile SW of Saxmundham. It has a post office, of the name of Benhall Green, under Saxmundham. Acres, 2,156. Real property, £3,846. Pop., 678. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to successively the Uffords, the De la Poles, and the Dukes. Benhall Lodge is the seat of the Rev. E. Hollond. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £173.* Patron, the Rev. E. Hollond The church is good; and has a brass of 1548. An endowed school has £28.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Benhall AP/CP Plomesgate RegD/PLU Suffolk AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.