BERKESWELL, or Berkswell, a parish in Meriden district, Warwick; on the Birmingham and Stafford railway, 6 miles W of Coventry. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Coventry. Acres, 5,958. Real property, £10,872. Pop., 1,624. Houses, 363. The property is much subdivided. Berkeswell House is the seat of-T. Walker, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Barston, in the diocese of worcester. Value, £976.* Patrons, the Misses Shirreff. The church is Norman. There are a neat endowed school with £50 a year, recent alms-houses with £155, and other charities £45.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Berkswell AP/CP Meriden PLU/RegD Berkshire AncC Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||BERKESWELL | BERKESWELL OR BERKSWELL | BERKSWELL|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.