BOLLINGTON, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the river Bollin, the Macclesfield canal, and the Macclesfield and Manchester railway, 3 miles N by E of Macclesfield; and has a post office† under Macclesfield. Acres, 1,184. Real property, £16,184; of which £1,373 are in freestone and slate quarries. Pop., 3,439. Houses, 1,108. The property is subdivided. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in quarries, collieries, and silk and cotton factories. The chapelry is conterminate with the township; and was constituted in 1835. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £190.* Patron, the Vicar of Prestbury. The church was built in 1834, at a cost of £4,000; and is in the early English style. There are an Independent chapel in the early second pointed style, built in 1868, three other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and two national schools. The subdistrict comprises five townships. Acres, 8,676. Pop., 10,357. Houses, 2,243.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Bollington Tn/CP Prestbury AP/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.