BORDESLEY, a hamlet in Aston parish, Warwick; within the south-eastern part of the town and borough of Birmingham. It contains the Birmingham stations of the Birmingham and Oxford and the Birmingham and Wolverhampton railways; and is traversed by those railways and by the Birmingham and Warwick canal. Acres, with Deritend, 1,690. Real property, £90,544. Pop. in 1851, 13,857; in 1861, 21,339. Houses, 4,418. Camp Hill here, contiguous to the canal and the Gloucester railway, was the scene of Prince Rupert's battle with the townsmen of Birmingham; and Bordesley Hall, near this, was burnt by the rioters in 1791. Streets and other thoroughfares are contiguous; and share in the general character and business of the town. Two chapelries, Holy Trinity and St. Andrew, are in B.; the former a p. curacy, the later a vicarage, in the dio. of Worcester. Value of Holy Trinity, £300;* of St. Andrew, £320. Patron of Holy Trinity, the Vicar of Aston; of St. Andrew, alternately the Bishop and five trustees. Holy Trinity church was built in 1822, at a cost of £14,235; is a fine Gothic edifice, faced with stone; and has a grand eastern window and a beautiful altar-piece. St. Andrew's church was built in 1844, at a cost of upwards of £4,000; is in the early decorated style; and consists of nave, spacious chancel, and north aisle, with tower and spire.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a hamlet" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Aston CP/AP Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.