Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BOUGHTON (Great)

BOUGHTON (Great), a township and a district in Cheshire. The township is in St. Oswald parish, and partly within Chester city; and lies on the Chester and Crewe railway, 1 mile E of Chester. Acres, 760. Real property, £5,458. Pop., 1,387. Houses, 281.—The district comprises Great Boughton poor-law union, and Chester city; the latter being regulated, in poor-law matters, by a local act. It comprehends the subdistrict of Tattenhall, containing the parishes of Tattenhall, Handley, Waverton, Aldford, Harthill, Coddington. Farndon, and Tilston, the extra-parochial tracts of Willington and Kingsmarsh, and parts of the parishes of Malpas, Shocklach, Tarvin, and St. Oswald; the subdistrict of Hawarden, containing the parishes of Hawarden, electorally in Flint, Doddleston, partly in Flint, Pulford, and Eccleston, the extra-parochial tract of Shotwick-Park, and parts of the parishes of Shotwick and St. Mary-on-the-Hill; the subdistrict of Chester-Castle, containing the parishes of Barrow, Sulton-Guilden, Christleton, St. John Baptist, St. Olave, and St. Michael, the extra-parochial tracts of Claverton, Priors-Hay, Spittle-Boughton, and Chester Gaol and Barracks, and parts of the parishes of Tarvin, St. Oswald, and St. Mary-on-the-Hill; and the subdistrict of Chester-Cathedral, containing the parishes of Backford, Plemonstall, Thornton-le-Moors, Ince, St. Peter, St. Bridget, St. Martin, and Holy Trinity, the extra-parochial tracts of Stanlow, Little St. John, and Cathedral Precincts, and parts of the parishes of Stoke, Shotwick, St. Oswald, and St. Mary-on-the-Hill. Acres, 109,793. Poor-rates, including Chester, £23,104. Pop. in 1841, 49,097; in 1861, 58,501. Houses, 11,232. Marriages, 638; births, 1,674,-of which 141 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,238,-of which 376 were at ages under 5 years, and 30 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 5,423; births, 16,820; deaths, 12,374. The places of worship in 1851 were 47 of the Church of England, with 18,120 sittings; 1 of the Presbyterian church in England, with 50 s.; 6 of Independents, with 1,610 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 352 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 600 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 250 s.; 21 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2,746 s.; 12 of New Connexion Methodists, with 2,862 s.; 20 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,288 s.; 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 75 s.; 8 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 1,163 s.; 3 undefined, with 310 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 138 s.; and 1 of Latter-day Saints, with 250 attendants. The schools were 66 public day schools, with 5,208 scholars; 91 private day schools, with 2,148 s.; and 76 Sunday schools, with 5,928 s. The workhouse is in Holy Trinity parish.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Great Boughton Tn/CP       Chester RegD       Cheshire AncC
Place names: BOUGHTON     |     BOUGHTON GREAT     |     GREAT BOUGHTON
Place: Great Boughton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.