BRAYTON, a township and a parish in Selby district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Selby canal, between the rivers Ouse and Aire, and on the Leeds and Selby railway, 1½ mile WSW of Selby. Acres, 1,790. Real property, £2,976. Pop., 367. Houses, 80. The parish contains also the townships of Gateforth, Hambleton, Thorpe-Willoughby, Burn, and Barlow; and its Post Town is Selby. Acres, 10,820. Real property, £15,983. Pop., 1,794. Houses, 376. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £355.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is of various dates and character, from Norman downward; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty west steeple; shows much beautiful Norman work; is in very good condition; and contains a fine sculptured font of 1861. The chapelries of Gateforth and Barlow are separate benefices. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £41.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Brayton AP/CP Selby RegD/PLU Yorkshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.