BRERETON-CUM-SMETHWICK, a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire; on the river Croke, 2 miles SE of Holmes-Chapel r. station, and 3 NE by N of Sandbach. It has a post office, of the name of Brereton, under Congleton; and is a seat of petty sessions. Acres, 4,501. Real property, £7,801. Pop., 592. Houses, 104. The property is subdivided. Brereton Hall was built by Sir W. Brereton, the parliamentary leader; and is now the seat of the Howards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £681.* Patron, Mrs. E. Royds. The church is later English, and good; and there are three dissenting chapels. A school has £8; and other charities £19.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Brereton Cum Smethwick CP/AP Congleton PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.