BRIGHTSIDE, a village, a chapelry, a township, and a subdistrict in Sheffield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Sheffield and Rotherham railway 2¼ miles NE of Sheffield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rotherham. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 10,101. Houses, 2,104. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, altern. the Crown and the Archbishop. One church was built in 1854; and another, at a cost of nearly £12,000, in 1869. The township bears the name of Brightside-Bierlow; and includes Bridgehouses, Nursery, and Wicker, which are suburbs of Sheffield,-as also the villages of Crabtree, Grimesthorpe, and Neepsend. Acres, 2,690. Real property, £85,768; of which £1,666 are in mines and quarries. Pop. 29,818. Houses, 6,243. There are cutlery-works, rolling-mills, a chapel of ease, two Methodist chapels, a library, national schools, and charities £41.-The subdistrict is conterminate with the township.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a chapelry, a township, and a subdistrict" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Sheffield AP/CP Yorkshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.