BRINKLOW, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands on the Fossé way and the Oxford canal, 1½ mile SW of Stretton r. station, and 5½ NW of Rugby. It has a post office‡ under Coventry; is a seat of petty sessions; and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 1,410 acres. Real property, £3,512. Pop., 736. Houses, 179. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Mowbrays, and had a castle of theirs; but passed to the Stutevilles and the Segraves. Traces of a Roman camp exist; and some Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £228.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is variously early and decorated English; was restored in 1862; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists. A school has £17 from endowment; and other charities have £31. The family of Rous, the antiquary, were residents.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Brinklow CP/Ch/AP Rugby PLU/RegD Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.