BRODSWORTH, a township and a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4¾ miles W by N. of Arksey r. station, and 5½ NW by N of Doncaster; and has a post office under Doncaster. The parish includes also the hamlets of Pigburn and Scansby. Acres, 3,170. Real property, £3,380. Pop., 412. Houses, 87. The property is divided among a few. Brodsworth Park belonged to the Earls of Kinnoul; passed by sale to Peter Thellusson, Esq., who died in 1798, bequeathing it to be under trustees for three generations; but, through judgment of the Lord Chancellor, was inherited by his son, Lord Rendlesham. Limestone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £472.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is old. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £15.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Brodsworth CP/AP Doncaster RegD/PLU Yorkshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.