BROMHAM, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 2 miles SW of Oakley r. station, and 4 WNW of Bedford. Post Town, Bedford. Acres, 1,798. Real property, £2,988. Pop., 361. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. Bromham Hall is the seat of the Trevors. A bridge of 25 arches crosses the Ouse at the village. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Oakley, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £336.* Patron, Eton College. The church is very ancient but good; has a square tower; and contains monuments of the Trevors and the Dyves. There is a free school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish, with a village" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Bromham AP/CP Bedfordshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.