BROMLEY (King's), or Bromley-Regis, a parish in Lichfield district, Stafford; on the river Trent, 2¾ miles E of Armitage r. station, and 5 N of Lichfield. It has a post office, of the name of King's Bromley, under Lichfield. Acres, inclusive of King's Bromley Hays, sometimes deemed extra-parochial, 3,370. Real property, £7,381. Pop., 638. Houses, 148. The manor belonged, in the Saxon times, to Earl Leofric; after the Conquest, to the Crown; and passed to the Agards and the Newtons. Bromley Hall is the seat of the Lane family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £210. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is later English, and has monuments of the Agards and the Newtons. A school has £105 from endowment; and other charities, £74.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Kings Bromley CP/AP Lichfield RegD/PLU Staffordshire AncC|
|Place names:||BROMLEY | BROMLEY KINGS | BROMLEY KINGS OR BROMLEY REGIS | BROMLEY REGIS | KINGS BROMLEY|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.