BROMWICH (Castle), a chapelry in Aston parish, Warwick; on the Birmingham and Derby railway, adjacent to the Birmingham and Fazeley canal, 5½ miles ENE of Birmingham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Birmingham. Pop., 613. Houses, 129. Castle-Bromwich Hall is an old seat, and belongs to the Earl of Bradford. An ancient castle is supposed to have stood on an eminence, still called Castle hill. Traces of Roman entrenchments exist; and ancient weapons have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £315. Patron, the Earl of Bradford. There is a free school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Aston CP/AP Castle Bromwich CP/Ch Warwickshire AncC|
|Place names:||BROMWICH | BROMWICH CASTLE | CASTLE BROMWICH|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.