BROWNSOVER, a township-chapelry in Clifton-on-Dunsmore parish, Warwick; on the Oxford canal, adjacent to the Midland and the Northwestern railways, 2 miles N by E of Rugby. Post Town, Rugby. Acres, 872. Real property, £2,300. Pop., 71. Houses, 14. Brownsover House is the seat of the Leighs. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clifton-on-Dunsmore, in the diocese of Worcester. Laurence Sheriff, the founder of Rugby school, was a native.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township-chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.