Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BUDWORTH (Great)

BUDWORTH (Great), a township in Runcorn district, and a parish in Runcorn, Northwich, and Altrincham districts, Cheshire. The township lies on the Grand Trunk canal, near the river Weaver, and near the Northwich, Knutsford, and Altrincham railway, 2½ miles N of Northwich; and has a post office under Northwich, and fairs on 13 Feb., 5 April, and 2 Oct. Acres, 872. Real property, £3,059. Pop. 613. Houses, 118. The parish contains also the townships of Seven Oaks, Antrobus, Crowley, Whitley-Superior, Whitley-Inferior, Bartington, Stretton, Appleton, Dutton, Aston-by-Budworth, Peover-Inferior, Tabley-Inferior, Plumbley, Pickmere, Little-Leigh, Barnton, Hartford, Winnington, Comberbach, Marbury, Marston, Wincham, Northwich, Castle-Northwich, Lostock-Gralam, Nether-Peover, Allostock, Hulse, Birches, Anderton, and Lach-Dennis, and the chapelry of Witton-cum-Twambrooks. Acres, 35,920. Real property, £138,204. Pop. in 1841, 17,103; in 1861, 18,852. Houses, 3,834. The property is much subdivided. Marbury Hall, Arley Hall, and Belmont House, are chief residences. Bedworthmere and Pickmere are small lakes. Many of the inhabitants are employed in salt-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £626.* Patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. The church is ancient; has an embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Pooles, the Warburtons, and the Leycesters. The chapelries of Antrobus, Barnton, Hartford, Little Leigh, Lostock, Lower Peover, Stretton, Tabley, Lower Whitley, Wilderspool, Witton, and Northwich, are separate benefices. Witton grammar school has £270 from endowment; and other charities £172.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Altrincham PLU       Cheshire AncC
Place names: BUDWORTH     |     BUDWORTH GREAT     |     GREAT BUDWORTH
Place: Great Budworth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.