BURTON, a township and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The township lies on the estuary of the Dee, 3¾ miles WSW of Sutton r. station, and 8 NW by W of Chester; and had formerly a market. Acres, 2,138; of which 280 are water. Real property, £2,178. Pop., 265. Houses, 50. The parish includes also the township of Puddington; and its Post Town is Neston, under Chester. Acres, 3,497. Real property, £4,235. Pop., 425. Houses, 77. The property is divided between two. Burton Hall is the seat of W. W. Congreve, Esq. Coal is worked in a mine running far beneath the estuary of the Dee. An hospital was founded at Denwall by Bishop Savensby, and given to the church of St. John in Lichfield. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £54. Patron, W. W. Congreve, Esq. The church is tolerable. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £35 a year. Bishop T. Wilson was a native.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Burton CP/AP Wirral PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.