BUTTERWORTH, a township and two subdistricts in Rochdale parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the verge of the county, near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles E of Rochdale. It includes the hamlets of Clegg, Wildhouse, Belfield, Butterworth Hall, Lowhouse, Haughs, and Bleaked-gate-cum-Roughbank. Real property, £26,906; of which £6,355 are in mines. Po-p., 6,704. Houses, 1,332. There are cotton and woollen factories, a church of 1798, dissenting chapels, two endowed schools, and charities £32. The subdistricts are B. Freehold-side and B. Lordship-side; and are jointly conterminate with the township.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and two subdistricts" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Lancashire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.