BYLEY, a township in Middlewich parish, and a chapelry in Middlewich, Devenham, and Sandbach parishes, Cheshire. The township bears the name of Byleycum-Yatehouse; and lies near the Trunk canal, 2 miles N of Middlewich, and 3½ NE of Winsford r. station. Acres, 1,030. Real property, £1,724. Pop., 124. Houses, 21. The chapelry bears the name of Byleywith-Lees, or St. John Byley; and was constituted in 1847. Post Town, Middlewich. Pop., 460. Houses, 90. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Middlewich.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Sandbach Tn/AP/CP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.