CHAFFORD, a hundred in Essex. It touches the Thames for 7 miles above and below Purfleet; extends 12½ miles northward; and contains fourteen parishes. Acres, 35,712. Pop., 16,001. Houses, 2,769.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a hundred" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Essex AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.