CHEADLE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stockport district, Cheshire. The village stands near the river Mersey, 2 miles NW of the junction of the Macclesfield and Congleton railway with the Manchester and Crewe railway, and 2¼ WSW of Stockport. The parish includes also the townships of Cheadle-Bulkeley and Cheadle-Moseley, and the hamlet of Handforth-cum-Bosden; and has a station at the junction of the railways, and a post office‡ under Manchester. Acres, 6, 275. Real property, £37, 209. Pop., 10, 852. Houses, 2, 301. The property is much subdivided. Cheadle Wood and Cheadle Heath are chief residences. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton and silk mills. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Handforth, in the diocese of Chester. Value, £635.* Patron, Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart. The church is later English. The vicarage of Cheadle-Hulme is a separate charge. There are also chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. An Independent chapel, in the decorated English style, was built in 1861, at a cost of £2, 000. The sub-district does not contain all the parish, and includes a township of Stock port. Pop., 4, 941. Houses, 1, 006.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Cheadle CP Cheadle AP/CP Cheadle SubD Stockport PLU/RegD Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.