CHESTERTON, a parish in Southam district, Warwick; on the Fosse way, and on an affluent of the river Avon, 1¾ mile SW of Harbury r. station, and 4½ SW by S of Southam. It includes Kingston hamlet; and its post town is Harbury, under Rugby. Acres, 3, 510. Real property, £4, 189. Pop., 217. Houses, 42. The manor belonged, from the time of Edward II. till that of Henry VIII., to the family of Peyto; and belongs now to Lord Willoughby de Broke. The manor-house was built in the time of Edward IV.; enlarged, in 1630, after designs by Inigo Jones; and demolished in 1802. A large windmill, of circular form, on six arches, designed by Inigo Jones, surmounts an eminence near the church. A Roman camp, supposed by some to have been the Roman station Mediolanum, is within the parish on the Fosse way; and has yielded Roman coins. Chesterton wood is a meet for the Warwick hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £82. Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is ancient; and contains three fine monuments of the Peyto family. Lord Cobham, the famous Wickliffite, found shelter with the incumbent in Henry V. 's time; and Cardinal Peyto, the Pope's legate in the reign of Mary, was a native.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Chesterton CP/AP Southam RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.