CHURCH-HULME, a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in Congleton district, Cheshire. The chapelry lies on the river Dane, and on the Manchester and Birmingham railway, 6½ miles WNW of Congleton; is in the parish of Sandbach; bears also the name of Holmes-Chapel; and has a station of that name on the railway, and a post office of the same name under Middlewich. Acres, 864. Real property, £2, 741. Pop., 573. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Sandbach. The church is old but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16. -The sub-district contains six townships of Sandbach parish, two other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 12, 600. Pop., 2, 514. Houses, 485.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township-chapelry and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Church Hulme CP/Ch Congleton RegD/PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.