CHURCH-LAWTON, a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire; on the Trent and Mersey canal, adjacent to the Macclesfield and Colwich railway, 1½ mile NNW of Kidsgrove Junction r. station, and 5 SSW of Congleton. Post town, Lawton, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Acres, 1, 452. Real property, £3, 108. Pop., 724. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. There are salt-works, collieries, and quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £360.* Patron,B. Lawton, Esq. The church is very good; and there are a Methodist chapel and a handsome school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Church Lawton AP/CP Congleton RegD/PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.