CODDINGTON, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dee, 4½ miles SSW of Tattenhall r. station, and 5½ NNW of Malpas; and had formerly a market. Acres, 1, 399. Real property, £1, 927. Pop., 139. Houses, 17. The parish contains also the townships of Chowley and Aldersey; and its post town is Farndon, under Chester. Acres, 2, 957. Real property, £4, 226. Pop., 325. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £262.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church has Norman columns, early English arches, and a modern belfry; and is good.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Coddington AP/CP Great Boughton PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.