CRAY (St. Mary), a village and a parish in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands on the rivulet Cray, and on the Mid Kent railway, 4½ miles E by S of Bromley; was once a market-town; includes a number of modern houses; and has a railway station with telegraph, a post office under Foots-Cray, London, S. E., and fairs on 13 Feb. and 10 Sept. The parish comprises 2, 010 acres. Real property, £6, 923. Pop., 1, 46 4-Houses, 277. The property is much subdivided. There is a large paper-mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is later English. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a literary institute, a police station, an endowed school with £70, and charities £12. . . .
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village and a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||St Mary Cray CP/Ch Bromley PLU/RegD Kent AncC|
|Place names:||CRAY | CRAY ST MARY | ST MARY CRAY|
|Place:||St Mary Cray|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.