DALE ABBEY, an extra-parochial chapelry in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; 3½ miles N of Borrowash r. station, and 5½ NE by E of Derby. Post town, West Hallam, under Derby. Acres, 1, 530. Real property, £2, 393. Pop., 366. Houses, 86. A priory of black canons was founded at Deepdale here, by Serlo de Grendon, in the time of Henry II.; and was succeeded by a Premonstratensian abbey in 1204. The buildings were grand and extensive; but only an ivy-clad arch of the church and some parts which were converted into dwellings and barns, now remain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is an edifice older than the abbey, and at a short distance from the ruins. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"an extra-parochial chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Shardlow RegD/PLU Derbyshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.