DANEHILL, a village, a chapelry, and a hundred in Sussex. The village stands 4½ miles S of East Grinstead r. station, and 6¼ NE of Cuckfield; and has a post office‡ under Uckfield, and a fair on 25th July. The chapelry is in Fletching and Horsted-Keynes parishes; and was constituted in 1851. Pop., 963. Houses, 199. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £90. Patron, the Earl of Sheffield. The hundred is in Pevensey rape; hears the name of Danehill-Horsted; and contains three parishes. Acres, 6, 832. Pop., 1, 181. Houses, 195.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a village, a chapelry, and a hundred" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Sussex AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.