DARTINGTON, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; on the river Dart, near the South Devon railway, 2 miles N by W of Totnes. Post town, Totnes. Acres, 3, 248. Real-property, £6, 062. Pop., 626. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. The manor was given by the Conqueror to William de Falaise; passed to the families of Martyn, Audley, Vere, Holland, and Courtenay; and has belonged, since the middle of the 16th century, to the Champernownes. Dartington House, the seat of the Champernownes, is a grand pile, 250 feet long; and includes part of the feudal mansion of the Dukes of Exeter. Venton House, the seat of the Moyseys, is a large ancient edifice. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £924.* Patron, A. Champernowne, Esq. The church stands close to Dartington House; is a fine old structure, of nave, chancel, and aisles; and contains a carved oak screen, a carved oak pulpit, and some antique monuments of the Champernownes and others. A chapel of case, at the south-eastern extremity of the parish, is a neat modern Gothic edifice, with a spire.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Dartington CP/AP Totnes RegD/PLU Devon AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.