DELAMERE, a township in Northwich district, and a parish partly also in Runcorn district, Cheshire. The township lies 5½ miles W by S of Hartford r. station, and 10 E by N of Chester; and gives the peerage title of Baron to the family of Cholmondeley. Acres, 1, 980. Real property, £1, 965. Pop., 474. Houses, 101. The parish contains also the townships of Eddisbury, Oak mere, and Kingswood; and its post town is Kelsall, under Chester. Acres, 8, 770. Real property, £6, 577. Pop., 1, 146. Houses, 226. The area was extra-parochial till 1812; was anciently a royal forest, abounding with wood and deer; had become waste and barren; and is now, in great extent, enclosed and cultivated. Vale-Royal is the seat of Lord Delamere; and Delamere Lodge, the seat of the Wilbrahams. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Crown. The church was built in 1817. There are two dissenting chapels and a national school.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Runcorn RegD/PLU Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.