DENTON, a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon; on Holme brook, 1¼ mile SSW of Stilton, and 3½ W by S of Holme r. station. Post town, Stilton, under Peterborough. Acres, 890. Real property, £939. Pop., 87. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Cottons; and is now held by the executors of the late Captain Wells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £130.* Patron, W. Wells, Esq. The church was partly rebuilt in 1665; has arms of the Cottons; and is good. Charities, £16. Sir Robert Cotton, the founder of the Cottonian library, was a native.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a parish" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Denton CP/AP Huntingdonshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.