Your free text search term was DIDDLEBURY.
DIDDLEBURY, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Ludlow district, Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 5 miles NE of Craven Arms r. station, and 7½ N of Ludlow; and has a post office under Bromfield, Salop. The parish includes also the townships of Corfton, Earnstrey-Park, Lawton and Little Sutton, Lower Park, Middlehope, Paston, Peaton, Great Sutton, and Westhope. Acres, inclusive of Skirmage extra-parochial tract, 9, 535. Real property, £10, 831. Pop., 829. Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the donative of Westhope, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £358.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is early English, and tolerable. Charities, £44. There was anciently an alien priory.The sub-district contains four parishes, part of another, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 18, 310. Pop., 2, 086. Houses, 399.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township, a parish, and a sub-district" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Diddlebury CP/AP Diddlebury SubD Ludlow RegD/PLU Shropshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.