Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DILHORNE

DILHORNE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Cheadle district, Stafford. The village stands near the sources of the river Tean, 2 miles WNW of Cheadle, and 3 N of Blyth-Bridge r. station. The parish includes also the township of Forsbrook; and its post town is Cheadle, under Stafford. Acres, 3, 648. Real property, £7, 975; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 1, 573. Houses, 336. The property is much subdivided. Dilhorne Hall is the seat of the Butlers. Much of the land was formerly heath, but has been reclaimed and planted. Coal, of good quality, is found. The parish is a meet for the North Stafford hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £198.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church has a Norman octagonal steeple, and is good. The vicarage of Forsbrook is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Blythmarsh school has £22 from endowment; Wheatacre's school, originally founded in the time of Henry VIII. as a free grammar-school, has £261; and other charities have £9.—The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 12, 638. Pop., 5, 070. Houses, 1, 034.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Dilhorne CP/AP       Dilhorne SubD       Cheadle PLU/RegD       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Dilhorne

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.