DODDINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Wybunbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the North-western railway, adjacent to Salop and Staffordshire; 3¼ miles S of Basford r. station, and 5½ SE by S of Nantwich. Acres, 588. Real property, £1, 334. Pop., 71. Houses, 13. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. Post town, Wybunbury, under Nantwich. Pop., 566. Houses, 106. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward II., to the Praers; passed to the Brescies, the Delves, and the Broughtons; and belongs now to Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart. The old manor-house was taken in 1643-4, by Lord Byron; and the present mansion, Doddington Hall, occupies the same site; and is a Grecian edifice. Some remains are near it of a castle, built in 1364, with statues of Lord Audley and his squires who fought at Poictiers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a township and a chapelry" (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")|
|Administrative units:||Doddington Tn/CP Wybunbury CP/AP Cheshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.