DUDDESTON-CUM-NECHELLS, a hamlet, a sub-district, and two chapelries in Aston parish and district, Warwick. The hamlet and sub-district are co-extensive; form the northeastern portion of the borough of Birmingham; contain streets and outskirts of the borough; and lie on the line of the Northwestern railway. Acres, 936. Pop. in 1841, 20, 079; in 1861, 38, 760. Houses, 7, 835. The chapelries are Duddeston and Nechells, or St. Matthew and St. Clement; and the former was constituted in 1842, the latter in 1860. Pop., 18, 693 and 6, 675. Houses, 3, 792 and 1, 382. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Worcester. Value of St. Matthew, £300; * of St. Clement, £300.* Patrons of St. Matthew, Trustees; of St. Clement, the Incumbent of St. Matthew. The church of St. Matthew was the seat of the Ash family; and that of St. Clement is a structure of 1859, in the geometric decorated style, comprising nave, chancel, south aisles, tower, and vestry, and raised at a cost of about £4, 000.
(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))
|Feature Description:||"a hamlet, a sub-district, and two chapelries" (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")|
|Administrative units:||Aston CP/AP Aston RegD/PLU Warwickshire AncC|
Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.